Never made scones before? Well, these are the perfect ones to start with! These perfectly sweet lemon scones are crispy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside. These scones are a bit of a twist on the classic lemon poppy seed scones because…there are no poppy seeds of course but they can always be added. These were the first scones I ever made and they have turned out perfect every single time!
Makes-16scones Time- 1hour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (optional)
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk or buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl
- Use your fingertips and cut or rub butter into the dry ingredients. Stir in lemon zest and poppy seeds
- Whisk milk (or buttermilk) and egg in a medium bowl; stir into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Grab a stone pan or a parchment covered pan and sprinkle the work surface with 1 tablespoon flour. Turn the dough out and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Knead three to five times, or until the dough just comes together. Divide in half and pat each piece into a 5-inch circle. Cut each circle into 8 wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. sprinkle some extra sugar on top
- Bake the scones until firm to the touch, 18 to 24 minutes.