I had these when I was little and it took a while but I finally found the recipe. These are great for a healthy, but sweet, breakfast or snack. These bars are packed with dried fruit chocolate and coconut. The great part is you can add any dried fruit you want. Apricots, cranberries, and cherries are my personal favourite combination. The other great part about this recipe is that it is super easy even for kids to make.
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (I used apricots, cherries and cranberries)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped dates
- 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cover a square, 8×8 baking pan with parchment.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until light.
- Pour in flour and the wheat germ and mix just until combined. With a spatula stir in the mixed dried fruit, dates, chocolate chips and coconut. Mix well and pour into the baking pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick poked into the middle of the pan comes out clean.
- Let cool completely (this is important) before cutting into bars with a knife.