This is the perfect idea for mothers day or any scone lover’s birthday! I personally love scones and so does most of my family so I decided to make this scone bar with a selection of 6 flavors for everyone to enjoy. Although this may sound complex it takes under an hour to make and the recipes are simple and customizable! To create this scone bar, I used a basic scone batter and then divided it into six bowls. I mixed my additional ingredients into each bowl to create six flavors: Lemonz, Orange Ginger, Almond Cinamon, Chocolate and Peanutbutter, Blueberry, and a savory flavor with parmesan cheese.
To make these scones I used a similar batter to my Lemon Scones but I removed the lemon zest and poppy seeds. Then I separated my batter and added a combination of ingredients to create6 different flavors. (see combos below and scroll to very bottom for full recipe)
These scones taste great paired with any of your favorite jams. I have tons of small jam bottles that I pulled out for everyone to try including strawberry, blueberry, and apricot.
To make these scones I added some sliced almonds, a bit of almond butter and lots of cinnamon.
I used organic frozen blueberries and mixed them into the batter for a classic scone combo.
This is my favorite combo! All you need is some lemon zest and the option of poppy seeds.
ORANGE & GINGER
This combination may be the most creative. I used chopped up orange pieces for the orange flavor, then added ground ginger and my favorite ginger tea!
CHOCOLATE & PEANUT BUTTER
Peanut butter chocolate scones are usually the ones that disappear first in my house. All you need is dark chocolate chips and pure peanut butter.
This scone is perfect for those who prefer something savory over sweet. For this savory scone, I sprinkled some parmesan and dried thyme on top.
RECIPE FOR SCONE BAR
Makes – 18 scones Takes – 45 minutes
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk or buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- additional flavourings
- Lemonz – 1tbsp lemon zest
- Blueberry – 10-15 frozen blueberries
- Orange ginger – 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 orange slice chopped, 1 tbsp ginger tea
- Chocolate Peanut Butter – 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips, 2 tbsp peanut butter
- Savory – 3 tbs shredded cheese (parmesan) 1 tbs dried thyme
- Almond Cinamon – 2 tbsp sliced almonds, 1 tbs almond butter, 1 tbs cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl
- Use your fingertips and cut or rub butter into the dry ingredients.
- Whisk milk (or buttermilk) and egg in a medium bowl; stir into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Separate dough into 6 different portions, and mix in additional flavorings
- Knead each portion 1-2 times
- Grab a stone pan or a parchment covered pan and sprinkle the work surface with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Divide each portion/flavor into 3 and place the thirds onto the pan. (do not roll into balls, place them as blobs onto the pan so you do not remove all the air)
- using your fingertips pat the tops and sides of the scones lightly to shape.
- Bake the scones until firm to the touch, 18 to 24 minutes.