The other day I was craving fajitas but I don’t eat a lot of meat so I decided to make a completely vegetarian fajita. I ended up adding a bunch of other fruits and veggies and the fajita turned into more of a veggie wrap but it still tasted really good! With all the added veggies these wraps are extremely colourfull and super nutritious which is perfect for a healthy lunch. They are also easy to make. All you have to do chop up some veggies and place them in the oven so there are no difficult steps to making these.
These fajitas use lots of ingredients but you can take some out depending on what you like. The veggies I decided to bake, dressed with balsamic vinegar, were yellow peppers, chickpeas, one red onion and button mushrooms. If you recreate this recipe you can use any type of mushroom, pepper, and onion you would like. The sweet yellow peppers are a perfect source of vitamin C as well as other vitamins while the purple onion is a source of manganese, dietary fiber and vitamin C. Red onions also contain a higher antioxidant content than white or green. Button mushrooms and mushrooms, in general, are a great source of vitamins and minerals so this meal is packed with healthy veggies.
Along with the baked vegetables, I added fresh kale, cherry tomatoes, avocado, shredded carrots and a drizzle of lime for flavor. It is said that eating as many colors as possible in a day is good for your health (and I don’t mean Skittles) and with this dish, you will be eating all of those colors.
Use whatever wrap you would like to use. I used these whole grain, non-GMO, organic tortillas that are made with turmeric. Tumeric is exceptionally good for overall health and its yellow color gives the tortillas a yellow tint. I would try to find a tortilla that is thin so that the wraps are easier to wrap.
Before placing all the ingredients onto the wrap, spread some tomato pesto on for flavour.
Once all the veggies are on the wrap top them off with some feta cheese for an exceptionally tasty wrap! I have to say this is one of my favorite lunches because is it is easy to make and so tasty.
Makes – 6 wraps
- 1 red onion
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 cup of button mushrooms
- balsamic vinegar
- handfull of kale
- shredded carrots
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- handfull of cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 6 tortillas
- feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Slice the pepper and onion into long strips.
- Wash the chickpeas and mushrooms.
- Pace mushrooms chickpeas, sliced onions and, sliced pepper onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle the ingredients with a bit of balsamic vinegar and place in heated oven for half an hour.
- While veggies are baking slice the cherry tomatoes and avocado.
- Spread some tomato pesto onto one of the tortillas. On top, place the kale, avocado, carrots, cherry tomatoes, baked chickpeas, baked mushrooms, baked peppers, and baked onion.
- Top it all off with lime juice and some crumbled feta.
- Wrap up the tortillas and eat warm.